What To Pack For
The Costa Rica Retreat
To make your stay the best it can be, here are some requirements and thoughts on what to consider as you prepare and pack for this retreat:
· A valid passport is required and must be valid at least six months after the date of travel. It is also highly recommended (and if you are unvaccinated, required) to obtain travel and health insurance to support this investment in your wellness. There are policies available with 'Cancel for Any Reason' clauses. A great investment to help you relax into this sacred opportunity. EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 8, 2021: Costa Rica does not require travel insurance if you provide proof that you are fully vaccinated.
· PLEASE NOTE: If you contract COVID while on this retreat, you will be required to leave the retreat space. All expenses will be your reponsibility (including medical, hotel and food). Health measures at AHKI can also be found here.
· We strongly encourage everyone to take personal responsibility for their own wellness and safety. The situation with the coronavirus remains fluid with the CDC updating its website daily with the latest information and advice for the public. Safe distancing, cleaning hands and wearing a mask when in public will still apply in many cases.
· Please note that in order to participate in this retreat, we require one of the following prior to departure for Costa Rica: 1) proof of vaccination or 2) negative COVID test within 1 calendar day of departure. EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 8, 2021: Costa Rica does not require travel insurance if you provide proof that you are fully vaccinated. If you are not vaccinated, health insurance is required. (requirements for that policy can be found here). Health measures at AHKI can also be found here.
· Up to 72 hours prior to entering Costa Rica, complete the Costa Rican Health Pass.
· Currently, the United States requires all air passengers coming to the United States, regardless of vaccination status, to have a negative COVID-19 viral test result within 1 calendar day of travel.
oThe current plan is to help you obtain that test on the Friday morning before we leave Costa Rica on Saturday. You are responsible for the cost of the test. The site we are currently considering for these tests charges $125.00 for PCR test and $65.00 for a Rapid Antigen Test. (Please note that only credit and debit cards are accepted at this site.)
Now onto the fun stuff!
· Bring light summer clothes! Costa Rica is pretty casual, especially in the beach towns. Shorts, tees and tank tops, sundresses and sandals are all appropriate for pretty much any occasion. Day time temperatures will range from 80 to 95 degrees. Evenings are cool, but not cold. Long sleeves or a shawl may feel nice in the evenings, but may not be necessary.
· Bring a bathing suit to enjoy our lovely salt water infinity pool and the ocean. You will also want comfortable shoes for walking. Sunglasses, too!
· You will want your own water bottle and a small flashlight for the evenings.
· Water shoes might be good if you plan to kayak, paddle board or surf. If you plan to zip line, you will need closed toe shoes.
· Bring sunscreen. Insect repellent is usually not needed in the dry season.
· Towels are provided in the rooms and by the pool. Pools towels can also be used at the ocean.
· All yoga props are provided including mats, clean blankets, bolsters, blocks and straps.
· Soap, shampoo and conditioner are provided in each bathroom, but feel free to bring your own if you prefer. Due to the warm weather and casual nature of the retreat, hair driers are not provided.
· Our intention for the week is to disconnect from and be present on retreat. But for those who need to stay “connected”, AHKI does provide complimentary WiFi for your own laptop, phone or iPad. This service is available at the Main House area only. Please note that because of the remote location, WiFi may not always be available, so if you must be connected, you might want to consider buying an international calling plan for the week.
· Bring extra US dollars to pay for the Costa Rica departure fee ($29.00), one night dinner in town, excursions, body work, soft drinks, smoothies, coconut water, beer and wine. While there are a couple of ATMs in town where US dollars can be obtained, sometimes it can take time to work through the logistics. (Note: There is a safe in each room where you can store any precious items.)
· We love the staff at AHKI. They are thoughtful, loving and truly support the harmony of our retreat. Please know that tipping of retreat staff is optional and at your discretion.
· Airfare is separate and not included in the cost of the retreat. You might want to use an app like Hopper to watch airfares. You will notice more direct flights Saturday to Saturday. Please be mindful to arrive in Liberia no later than 3PM CT. We leave AHKI around 9AM the following Saturday. The trip to and from the airport is approximately 2 hours. So keep that in mind for the return flight. If you need to come in or leave on another day and time, we can help you contract a separate ride to or from AHKI.